breezy point, bronx, brooklyn, coney island, donate, frankenstorm, help, hoboken, hurricane sandy, jersey city, jersey shore, long beach, manhattan, new york city, nyc, queens, rockaways, sandy, staten island, supplies, volunteer
Hey everyone just a quick note to let you know we are OKAY. However, many are not – if you are looking for ways to help volunteer this weekend here in NYC – or live far away and want to donate, here is a list of everything we see locally going on!
(Includes friends and family I know affected – if you have someone or a link to share, comment it below and I will keep this updated and help spread the word!)
- Saturday, November 3, 2pm–6pm: 40 Volunteers are needed to help us go door to door to distribute information to homeowners about filing for federal disaster aid in Canarsie,Brooklyn. Space is limited, please RSVP to email@example.com.
- Sunday, November 4, two shifts (9am-3pm and 3pm to 9pm): 60 volunteers needed to help Masiba of Flatbush prepare and distribute meals for 600 people. The morning shift is from 9am – 3pm and the afternoon shift is from 3pm from 9pm. Please email your desired shift (must choose one) to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saturday and Sunday, November 3 and 4, 10am–2pm: Friends of Brower Park will do a general clean-up. Meet at the Park House. Feel free to show up. For more info, email email@example.com
- Saturday and Sunday, November 3 and 4: Councilman Jumaane Williams is looking for individuals with cars, trucks and/or vans that have sufficient gas to help deliver supplies to hard-hit residents. If you are willing and able please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to coordinate.
- Monday, November 5, 12pm–5pm: Assemblyman Karim Camara will need help sorting donations at his district office and distributing supplies across the borough. Please email email@example.com to volunteer.
- Saturday, November 3, 10 am: volunteers are needed to help clean up Red Hook. Please report to the Office of Emergency Management’s temporary office at 402 Van Brunt Street for an assignment.
- Saturday, November 3, 9 am to 6 pm: Help with resident and merchant outreach, area clean-up, and other relief efforts. Meet on the Boardwalk and W. 10 Street at 9am. Dress warmly, wear sturdy footwear or boots, and bring work gloves. Bring your own flashlight (with extra batteries), a backpack, and snacks/water for yourself for the day.
- Saturday, November 3, 9am to sunset: Please help us clean up Seagate. Volunteers should come prepared with gloves, high boots, and cleaning supplies and meet at 3700 Surf Avenue. At the gate please identify yourselves as volunteers from the Public Advocate’s Office. Jeff and Tammy will be on hand to organize volunteers. Please contact the Shomrim Command Center with any questions, 718-705-9666.
- Saturday, November 3, 9am–6pm: volunteers are needed to check-in on and assist the residents of Stuyvesant Town. Head to the Peter Cooper Village Community Center located in Stuyvesant Town (enter on 16th street and 1st Ave) to check-in and receive an assignment.
- Saturday, November 3, 10am–5pm: Join Senator Daniel Squadron at the Rutgers Community Center located at 200 Madison Street in the Lower East Side for clean-up, and food and water distribution.
- Saturday, November 3, 10am-1pm: Help clean-up Riverside Park. Meet at one of the following 3 locations and please bring extra gloves and garbage bags: 99th Street along the Hudson River (check-in with Hakim Constantine); Pier I and 70th Street (check-in with Sally Miller); or 138th Street and 12th Avenue.
- Sunday, November 4, 12pm–3:30pm: Help clean-up Riverside Park. Meet at 91st St and Riverside Drive and please bring extra gloves and garbage bags (check-in with Nya Jackson).
- Saturday, November 3, 10am-5pm: Help GOLES (Good Old Lower East Side) at their office on 169 Avenue B between 11th street and 10th street.
- Saturday and Sunday, November 3 and 4, 10am–7pm: The Rockaway Youth Task Force will be doing daily clean-up and recover efforts. Meet at F 321 Beach 57th Street in the back of the building on Arverne BOulevard. For additional information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Saturday, November 3, 9 am: Assemblywoman Nicole Malliotakis will be holding a clean-up in Staten Island. People will gather at the end of New Dorp Lane and Cedar Grove Avenue. Volunteers should bring any tools that may have (rakes, shovels, push brooms, work gloves, trash bags). Those who are unable to work the clean-up can donate equipment (brooms, rakes, garbage bags, shovels) at Monsignor Farrell High School at 2900 Amboy Road.
- This is a friend’s family home that was destroyed in Staten Island – check out and like their facebook page and share with others to help! – https://www.facebook.com/GonzalezFamilyHurricaneAssistancePage
- Locals set up a Rockaway Help page that lists all the items they are in need of: www.rockawayhelp.com
- Red Hook Initiative is accepting donations at their center located at 767 Hicks Street (corner of West 9th Street) from 10am–8pm. They are in need of the following items: gasoline, water pumps, flashlights, candles, batteries, blankets, cleaning supplies (bleach, gloves, mops, etc.) and contractor strength garbage bags.
- The shelter at Susan Wagner High School (1200 Manor Road, Staten Island) is in need of school supplies for children of all ages. Please bring supplies directly to the school between 10am and 5pm daily.
- NYPD Community Affairs Unit is collecting donations at Resorts World Casino at 110-00 Rockaway Blvd in Jamaica, Queens (enter from 109th Street & Rockaway Blvd). They are in need of canned goods, water, paper goods, baby care products, clothing, toiletries, flashlights, backpacks and batteries. Questions can be directed to the Community Affairs Bureau at 646-610-5323 or via email email@example.com.
- Assemblyman Karim Camara is hosting a Product Donation at his district office. They are in need of cleaning supplies, toiletries and personal care items, baby products, and school supplies. Please bring items to his district office 1216 Union Street between Nostrand and Rogers, on Saturday, November 3 from 12 pm to 4 pm.
- Friends of Firefighters are collecting Empty cardboard boxes and plastic shopping bags to deliver donations in, children and adult clothes – especially warm clothes, blankets, school supplies, bottled water and thermoses of hot drinks, non perishable food, toiletries, hand sanitizer, working gloves, generators, pumps and gasoline. Drop off this Saturday, November 3 & Sunday, November 4 between 10AM – 3PM at 5306 Avenue L, Brooklyn, NY 11234.
- Make the Road NY is accepting food, warm clothing, blankets, flashlights, batteries, diapers, baby formula — anything useful for families in the areas hardest hit by the storm at the following offices:
- 479 Port Richmond Avenue, Port Richmond, Staten Island, (718) 727-1222, Saturday and Sunday, 10am-6pm
- 1090 Suffolk Avenue, Brentwood, Long Island, (631) 231-2220, Saturday and Sunday 10am-4pm
- 92-10 Roosevelt Avenue, Jackson Heights, Queens, (718) 565-8500, Saturday, 10am -6pm
- 301 Grove Street, Bushwick, Brooklyn, (718) 418-7690, Saturday, 10 am – 6 pm.
NYCHA Emergency Resource Distribution Volunteers
Several NYCHA developments have been without power and have residents in need of food and water. The City has coordinated with the National Guard and other agencies to set-up resource stations that will have food and water that can be distributed to these communities from accessible locations tomorrow, Sunday and Monday. Volunteers will include emergency response personnel, staff from federal and municipal agencies, elected officials and community members.
We will be distributing food at the sites listed below. We are especially looking for volunteer support in Coney Island and the Rockaways. Distribution will run from 1pm to 4pm Saturday (tomorrow), Sunday and Monday. Volunteers should be ready to work outdoors. Please register before reporting to distribution sites.
Follow this link to register to assist in this crucial effort:
**NOTE: THERE WILL BE NO DISTRIBUTION AT QUEENS – ASTORIA- Hallets Cove, Vernon Blvd and 30th Road. PLEASE DO NOT REGISTER FOR OR REPORT TO THIS SITE.